Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Essential Esperanto by William Alfred Gething.

Essential Esperanto by William Alfred Gething. Hardcover book published by W. Foulsham 1959, 128 pages. Book also has 2 small booklets (“A Key to Esperanto” and “English – Esperanto Vocabulary”), a typed letter with corrections in pen in Esperanto and 2 typed pages of Esperanto with penciled additions.


This book about Esperanto, the international language, appeals to the intellect as well as the imagination. It’s author, in his introduction, explains how he came to learn Esperanto and how great a difference it has made to his life. “My experience as an Esperantist heightened my sense of being significant in society,” he says, and ESSENTIAL ESPERANTO is his effort to pass on to others the benefits of this fascinating language.”

I just can't leave the old Esperanto thing alone. Yes, it is old, and by the reaction and information I received the last time I wrote about it (here)... albeit a little condescendingly... it is vibrant, alive and significant. I've been looking around for anything Esperanto and have found nenio until I found this title. I figure with the indicated growth and interest that there is in the subject/language, this title would have to be a surefire seller. (See comments on the other blog entry)

More importantly though, I recently read this article. I was impressed. It's great to see that there's an active community here in Victoria (… and I thought it was dead and buried).


And here is a picture of all the Esperanto books I haven't found.

"Uk 2008 libroservo" by Ziko - Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Uk_2008_libroservo.JPG#mediaviewer/File:Uk_2008_libroservo.JPG

And where are all the Volapük books?

No comments:

Post a Comment