Thursday, June 12, 2014

Black Caviar: The Horse of a Lifetime by Gerard Whateley.

Black Caviar: The Horse of a Lifetime by Gerard Whateley. Hardcover book published by ABC Books 2012, 390 pages with a few colour photographs.


I'm not a fan of Caviar. I never have been. When some one offers me a horse doovie and I see those black (or red) fish eggs sitting there... no, not for me. But some/many/maybe most people seem to love the stuff and naming a horse after black (or red) fish eggs from the other side of the world, is one surefire way to make sure that people remember it. … and the other way, is to get it to win.... a lot.

Black Caviar isn't the first horse to have a biography written about it and i'm sure it wont be the last. At the time Black Caviar was racing, it seemed that everyone was talking about it, so much so that even this bookseller who has absolutely no interest in Black Caviar (four legged or fishy), horse racing in general or the media hype associated with a horse, heard about this wonder of the track. I didn't particularly want to hear about it and as much as I had no interest, it did stick in my mind, so much so that a book about all this kerfuffle could not be left behind.

Black Caviar has now retired from racing and is spending time with the kids... It amazes me that such an icon and media event began and ended so quickly. What is even more amazing is that like Phar Lap and Don Bradman, Black Caviar will probably not be forgotten... and a telemovie is surely on it's way.  I guess if you win everything, then maybe it's not so surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment