Sunday, January 12, 2014

P.G. Wodehouse: The Authorized Biography by Frances Donaldson.

P.G. Wodehouse: The Authorized Biography by Frances Donaldson.  Hardcover book published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson 1982, 399 pages with some black and white photographs and a few black and white illustrations. 


I have to admit, I am a fan.  It’s only been in the last 5 or 6 years that I have begun to savour the world of P.G. Wodehouse.  Strangely, I am also very aware that a younger me would not have appreciated his oeuvre at all.  I think it has something to do with getting older and wiser and it is this aged wisdom that has made me appreciate the sublimely ridiculous scenarios that Wodehouse unfolds.  Seriously, this guy is funny.  Wodehouse has been known to make me guffaw out loud in the midst of a silent read, which sadly, is something this reader hardly ever does.

Discovering Wodehouse was an awesome experience, particularly when I discovered how much he wrote over his short 93 years of scribbling.  Sadly, if I read a Wodehouse book a year for the rest of my life, I probably wont make it through his extensive back catalogue… Which is why I wont be reading this biography.  There’s too much Wodehouse out there to read and enjoy before I can get to a biography and besides I don’t know that knowing “the truth of the whole sad episode of his broadcasts from Germany during the war”*, is something that will enlighten my appreciation of the Wodehouse world…

…OK, maybe I do need to read a biography.


*From the publishers blurb.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment