Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Algebraic Eigenvalue Problem by J. H. Wilkinson. The Algebraic Structure of Group Rings by Donald S. Passman.

The Algebraic Structure of Group Rings by Donald S. Passman.  Hardcover book (no dust jacket) published by John Wiley & Sons 1977, 720 pages.

The Algebraic Eigenvalue Problem by J. H. Wilkinson (Monographs on Numerical Analysis series). Hardcover book (no dust jacket) published by Clarendon Press Oxford University Press 1969, 662 pages.



Maths.  Not one of my strengths.  I’m not a complete klutz around the basics but once I start getting anywhere near anything slightly more complicated… such as algebra… my brain does a complete shutdown.  As sad as this may sound, this is how I select maths books.  Both of these books are great examples of this process and I don’t even have to look at the contents to give you the reason why these books are now for sale in the Huc & Gabet ebay shop.  It’s those magic words “Group Rings” and “Eigenvalue” that caught my attention… and then quickly uncaught my attention causing my attention to catch again.  My thought process went something like this:

Maths books.

Complicated stuff.

What is a Group Ring and what is Eigenvalue?

They sound difficult and like something that is not all that common a subject.

Could be a hard sell.

Maybe these books are not that common.

Pick em up, you never know.


Which is what I did.

I guess I also had the benefit of selling a few rare (and expensive) books a few days before hand, so this was also in the back of my mind whilst considering.  I also have to confess that this process doesn’t always work and sometimes I get it wrong.  Last book town I had a guy buy all of my marked down unsold maths books and then compliment me on the excellent selection.  He was happy… so happy that I’m expecting him to come back for more.  Hopefully these will have sold by then… but if not, he’ll be happy once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment