Thursday, February 23, 2012

Locating Koalas in the Australian Bush: A guide for tourists, naturalists and professionals in the field by Scott Buckingham.

Locating Koalas in the Australian Bush: A guide for tourists, naturalists and professionals in the field by Scott Buckingham.  Paperback book published by Bolwarrah Press 1999.

 
Ever been in the Australian Bush and wondered where all the Koalas are?  I have.  I can even remember driving through Koala areas (these are often sign posted here in Australia) and trying to spot them from the back seat of my parents car… to no avail… despite what the signs said. Of course as a seasoned Koala searcher I’ve learnt over the years that the best way to spot a Koala is to not look for Koalas but rather to look for other people looking up at trees.  It’s usually a good indicator that there’s something up there… not always, but usually.

This book is intended to solve all of one’s Koala locating issues and as the title indicates is intended for a broad audience.  It’s sort of pleasing to know that I’m not the only one who has Koala locating issues and that even professionals need a helping hand.  There is of course the easy Zoo option where you are guaranteed to see a Koala, but where’s the fun in that?  You may as well be in Beijing or Vladivostok.  The other easy option is to buy this book and see Koalas in the wild.  Personally this is something that appeals to me… which I guess is why I picked up this book and now have it for sale.

A Koala... not in Vladivostok

2 comments:

  1. What a fantasic book.Every tourist visiting Australia should get one. Scott buckingham certainly knows his business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother, a biologist, recommended this book to me and I found it invaluable when I visited Australia.

    ReplyDelete