Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing Hoax by Philip Plait.

Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing Hoax by Philip Plait. Paperback book published 2002.


I’ve read a few popular science books over the years and I always feel that I’ve learnt something about something… that’s not necessarily a big something, usually it’s just a small something, but still, it’s something.  I do like the idea of this book which basically looks at rubbish science and weird conspiracy theories and throws them back where they belong.  It comfortably plants the supposed fake moon landings next to astrology, Velikovsky also gets a mention as does heaps of other stuff…  The truth is, I haven’t read this book.  I’m tempted though (really) as I reckon the “something” factor would be quite considerable.  

Unfortunately I’ve been finding that science book sales (both popular and… ummmm… unpopular) to be in decline.  It’s hard to sell a calculus book, a vintage guide to sex practice or a book about bad astronomy.  It’s easier to sell a book on homeopathy, astrology or anything by Velikovsky.  mmmmmmmmm.  


(Whilst skimming, I found this at the beginning of Part 4 “People believe weird things”… I like this as a statement… as a matter of fact I think this sums up perfectly what this book is trying to say… actually, looking at the bigger picture, I think it sums up what I’m trying to say as well…)

No comments:

Post a Comment